Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Color Challenge at SCS

These cards were made following this week's color challenge over at Splitcoast Stampers:
- Soft Suede
- Almost Amethyst
- Apricot Appeal

I also wanted to go with the theme for the CAS (Clean and Simple) card this week - which is where my 'sketch' comes in. I wanted to see if I could make them in limited layers, so I masked off with some Post Its, rectangles and then sponged in the 3 colors. On the right, I also masked an oval before the rectangles so it wouldn't receive any ink. I ran the white cardstock through the paisley embossing folder for my Cuttlebug and then lightly sponged appricot in the center and then edges with some amethyst. For the image in the oval, I colored directly to the stamp with assorted Zig and Stampin Up markers using the 'huffing' technique because I wanted a soft watercolor effect. I then pierced the oval. From the backside, I used one of my more expensive tools - a panscraper from Pampered Chef, gotta love 'em! - and gently smoothed out the paisley emboss so that it raised the oval to give it a sort of cameo appearance. I did use some dimensional foam tape behind the oval to keep it raised slightly. Ok, so I did add a slip of amethyst below this one, but it's still fairly Clean and Simple, right?

For the card on the left, I did pretty much the same thing, with the exception of the oval treatment. For the sponging, I took the apricot and heavily sponged from the top til it faded out and then with the amethyst from the bottom, again, heavily til it faded out. This card is truly only 2 layers - both white.

I liked this technique so much, I think I may have to do a whole bunch of them in varying styles.

Thanks again for stopping by!

No comments: